When it comes to choosing the best eyeliner, there are a few things you need to think about before buying. What’s the brand, color, texture and longevity like? Depending on what you’re looking for, you need a makeup product that performs at a certain level. Whether you’re looking for a simple black eyeliner or something bolder like blue, I’ve put together some of the best eyeliners available for your consideration.
When it comes to eyeliners, you can really go to town with all the variety available, colour choices, textures, brands, price, and longevity. We’ve scoured the market to bring you some of the best eyeliners for every taste and need to help you choose and impress. Check out my list of some of the best eyeliners below.
|Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Definer||Best Overall|
|NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Jumbo Eyeliner Pencil||Budget Pick|
|Prestige Liquid Eyeliner||Upgrade Pick|
1. Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Definer
- Long lasting
- Easy to use
- Perfect for day to day use
- Pretty and elegant packaging
The Rimmel Exaggerate eyeliner is my favorite among a vast array of eyeliners on the market. I enjoy how it keeps my eyes looking great all through the day, even after a long bike ride or a busy day at work.
The color is deep, and the liner stays in place almost all day until you remove it. It’s also waterproof and easy to apply. You can use the liner for your upper lash line, and it’s also great for lines for your bottom lash line and your water line. Just draw lightly at first, then darken the line if you need more definition.
If you’re looking for a basic eyeliner, this is a great option, thanks to its affordable price tag, and the sleek and fun packaging that looks great on the counter at the makeup counter in a store, or in the hands of a friend as she opens it.
2. L'Oreal Paris Infallible Lacquer Eyeliner
- Amazing color
- Great staying power
- Comes with a liquid brush applicator
This water-based eyeliner has a clever brush applicator that allows you to apply the eyeliner with precision. It has a rich, bright color that will give you eyes that pop. The fine point brush will help you to add additional definition to your eyes.
The liquid eyeliner dries quickly to a smooth, smudge-proof finish that will last all day. This eyeliner is waterproof and sweat resistant. It will not feather or fade. The staying power of this product is impressive.
3. Maybelline Unstoppable Eyeliner
- Wears all day
- Smooth, creamy application
- Good value for the price
- Soothes your watery eyes
- Staying power is unbeatable
- Decent color selection
- Comes in an easy squeeze tube packaging
- Three to a pack
- Can smudge slightly if you don’t set it
- Some say that it doesn’t last well on the waterline. It’s more of a fallback or a topper.
This eyeliner has been used by many of my friends, and they all love it. It’s really dark and it goes on really smooth. It’s also waterproof and it doesn’t disappear after just an hour or so. It stays on all day. I highly recommend this eyeliner.
4. Maybelline Master Precise All Day Liquid Eyeliner Makeup Waterproof
- Smudge proof and waterproof
- Fine tip for precise detailing
- Doesn’t flake or clog
- Non-smearing formula
- Won’t fade
- Creates a smooth, even line
The rule of thumb to remember when looking for the best eyeliner for sensitive eyes is to look for one that comes with a hypoallergenic formula and is made specifically for sensitive eyes.
The best way to achieve that is by purchasing a specially formulated hypoallergenic eyeliner. Most of the times you’ll be able to find one with a thin tip that’s easy to use and that conforms to the shape of the eye.
This is the most natural way to apply eyeliner and it also happens to be the most forgiving when it comes to beginners. The makeup doesn’t have to be perfect and there’s no pressure to get a bold, thick line.
5. L'Oreal Paris Makeup Infallible Never Fail Original Mechanical Pencil Eyeliner
- Lasts all day
6. L'Oreal Paris Lineur Intense Brush Tip Liquid Eyeliner
- For an intense look
- The applicator is incredibly fine
- Smudges easily with water
- Made of high-quality products
- Available in various colors
- Comes in a .24 fluid-ounce tube
- Can easily bleed
- Easily smudged
- Hard to apply in precise lines due to its consistency and thickness
- Can sometimes cake and flake
The L'Oreal Paris Lineur Intense Brush Tip Liquid Eyeliner is perfect for those that want to create a bold look from a cosmetic standpoint.
The secret to it is the brush tip applicator. A few strokes of this eyeliner can give you a look that is naturally dramatic.
It is also available in various colors, which gives you the opportunity to play around.
7. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Epic Ink Liner
- Smooth liner tip for precision application
- Lasts all day
I just had to put my New York City hat on by submitting my favorite eyeliner, NYX Epic Ink Liner. I have probably tried over 50 different eyeliners in the last two decades and this one best compliments my brown eyes. Other than its easy on-off, the liner is totally smudgeproof. It is thicker than most eyeliners (which I like, because that is how I was originally taught to apply eyeliner in the 80’s) and stays put. I also love that it is waterproof, so no more panda eyes at the end of the day!
This liner comes in a classic black, even though I personally like to change mine up to a permutation of black. I am practically out of my black liner as I am writing this review. (Even my husband mentioned that I never run out of eyeliner!)
This liner is hands-down the best type of liner if you are not that good at applying eyeliner. I bought this new one as a backup to my original, which I have been using for about two years and will never get rid of.
8. Schwing Liquid Eyeliner
- Lasts a long time
- Super easy to use
- Great value for your money
- May be hard to remove
- Very thick
- Sometimes dries out
The Schwing Liquid Eyeliner is another awesome budget buy that checks off every box we look for in an eyeliner. It’s black, dries quickly, and stays all day. It’s such a bargain, we picked it as our best budget buy for liquid eyeliner.
This long-lasting and waterproof eyeliner comes in a .5-ounce tube with a super fine felt tip. The only downside is that the felt tip is so soft, that it might be difficult for some people to get used to. Those with shaky hands might think the soft tip will make applying it more difficult, but no worries, this eyeliner will still work for them!
Since it’s a liquid eyeliner, it’s really easy to apply. If you’re used to applying a pencil eyeliner, you’ll have no problem using this one. Since it’s a liquid eyeliner, it’s smudge-free and waterproof, so it’s long lasting.
9. Prestige Liquid Eyeliner
- Extremely budget friendly
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Easy to apply and go over mistakes
- Dries quickly
- Painterly tip
- Not for those who want a more dramatic look
- Small tip
Prestige liquid eyeliner is a clear liquid eyeliner that offers a medium thickness brush, and a playful and elegant design. I’ve been using for a long time and it works wonders. It is obviously not the top eyeliner on the market, but if you are looking for a very budget friendly option, this one gets the job done well.
It’s a pain to apply with a water line, but for a solid cat eye look, it is worth the extra effort. You could also use another eyeliner brush with this for the waterline, so it’s the best of both worlds if done that way.
10. LORAC Front of the Line Pro Liquid Eyeliner
- Budget Friendly
- Long Lasting
- Easy To Apply
When it comes to searching for the best liquid eyeliner, you should consider getting yourself the LORAC Front of the Line Pro Liquid Eyeliner.
This eyeliner goes on smooth and stays put all day long. It comes with a great brush for detailed application, which is critical when working with a liquid liner. The brush is very forgiving. It is easy to learn with and gives the user a lot of control over the final product.
As for color options, you can get this eyeliner in either a classic black or a shimmery silver color. Both options go on smooth and have a pretty unique color, which will help you stand out from the crowd. Even when washing off your makeup is necessary, this eyeliner comes off very easy using makeup remover. It does not irritate at all, even for folks with sensitive skin. All in all, if you are looking for an easy-to-use, good-quality liquid eyeliner that is inexpensive, the LORAC liquid eyeliner is a great place to start.
11. L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Smoldering Eyeliner
- Easy to use
- Very easy to apply
- Great for most occasions
- Perfect for people just starting out with eyeliner or makeup
- Has a great design for easy application
- Great price
12. Docolor Waterproof Eyeliner Pen Super Slim Liquid Eyeliner Eye Liner Gel Black
- Highly water-resistant
- Packaged with a convenient, double-sided brush
- Easy for beginners to use
- Rounded tip follows every contour of your eye
- Doesn’t clump
- Not the blackest of blacks
- A bit on the shorter side
I love eyeliners and have been using them for as long as I can remember. A good eyeliner can make you look more polished and awake. Having a good eyeliner on makes me feel better about myself and how I look that day.
When you are selecting a new eyeliner, you need to decide what kind of finish you are looking for. Do you want something that could also double as a mascara that you can put on in a hurry? Or are you looking for something that is a little more precise? I’m barely a beginner to the waterproof eyeliner world, but I have used this eyeliner a lot, and I love it’s performance. The tip, in particular, is so fine that it’s extremely easy to use.
This eyeliner will be a good choice for beginners who want something with a nice finish and want to practice with it’s use before graduating to a more expensive one.
13. Lavish Liner by Hairgenics Pronexa
- Castor Oil to make lashes grow
- Very precise applicator
- Nice packaging with storage case
- Amazing eyeliner
I’ve tried countless eyeliners and nothing compares to this eyeliner pen! It’s like a marker, so it’s super precise. And, the eyelash growth formula adds length to my lashes every time I wear it.
14. Prestige Eyeliner
- Can be used for eyeliner and drawing fine lines
- Pencil is thin so you do not have to go over the line twice
- Total length is 5.37 inches including the cap
- Can be sharpened with a knife
- Does not bleed out
- Creates precise lines
- Stays black all day long without fading
- Pencil is made out of plastic so may splinter
- Needs to be sharpened
A pencil would be the most basic tool for creating your makeup lines.
This is the product you want to trust when you need a pencil on the minimalist side of the spectrum and will provide the most basic features.
It's best for a person whose intention is just to use it and throw it away without carrying it in your purse or pencil-box.
15. Maybelline New York Makeup Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eye Liner
- Easy to apply
- Endless color selection
Maybelline is a brand that I trust completely when it comes to cosmetics. I’ve been using a lot of their products since childhood and the variety of products they have are second to none.
The Maybelline New York Makeup Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Eye Liner is no exception. This eyeliner goes on smooth and stays put. The colors are vibrant and it’s extremely easy to apply. It’s also waterproof and long-lasting.
Despite the fact that this eyeliner is so versatile, the hardest part is really picking a color. It comes in a wide variety of colors from Blackest Black to Brilliant Rockstar Blue.
16. Eyeliner Stamp
- Works with all skin types
- Smudges just enough for a natural look
- Applies every time
- Quick drying and long lasting
- Staying power
- Eyeliner stamp design makes it easy to create the perfect wing
- It is super easy to use (it looks like a marker)
- It is waterproof,smudgeproof ,long lasting, and a cat eye liner.
- It is a bit damp in the bottle.
- You need to keep the tip of the marker pen dipped in water for the stamping to work.
No Streaking, Only a Stroke, Purple & Blue.
Overall, this is a great product. Very simple to use and it creates a nice, clean, and sharp-looking cat eye with no effort.
17. 2 in 1 Black and Brown Gel Eyeliner Set Water Proof Smudge Proof
- Contains 6 different eyeliners in one kit (full, black, liquid, pencil, eyeliner, thin eyeliner)
- Great color quality
- Perfect for beginners, smudge-proof
- Comes with 2 pcs of brushes (small and big)
- For use in areas with good air ventilation
Browsing through Amazon, I have found this excellent eyeliner set containing 6 unique eyeliners.
18. Docolor 100 Pack Disposable Eyeshadow Applicators Double Sided Eye Shadow Sponge Oval Tipped Eyeliner Brush Makeup Brush Tool
- Great for eyeliner
- Easily cleaned and long lasting
This eyeliner is very easy to apply, especially on your upper and lower lash lines. It comes in 10 different shades from blacks to brown to hot pinks that will stay on for a long time.
If you want something that will grab the attention of anyone looking for a liner, this is the one to get. These liners are great and you may find you will get plenty of compliments on the way you blend the colors.
19. Winged Eyeliner Stamp
Keep it simple and go bold with this eyeliner pen. It gives a clean cut wing and creates a lush black line. This eyeliner remover is lightly scented but testers did not mind it.
20. LA PURE Waterproof Eyeliner Stamp
- Easy to use
No Forgiving Pencil.
The LA PURE eyeliner stamp works as advertised. You just place the tip of the pen into the cup of water. Then, you blot it on the backside of the stamp. Next, you drag it like a brush over your eyelids.
This is a great option if your eyelids are not at all cooperative when it comes to cosmetics. The stamp works well on both upper and lower lids. It's a sure way of getting a straight and symmetrical look.
21. NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Jumbo Eyeliner Pencil
- Paraben and cruelty free
- Smooth, creamy texture
- Glides on smoothly
- Multiple color options
- A little crumbly if you fill in all your waterlines, but not too bad
- Has a sharpener on the opposite end from the tip, which can make the tip hard to get to if you’re trying to sharpen it
The NYX Jumbo Eyeliner is a twist-up pencil with a matte finish and creamy texture. It goes on nicely and lasts all day. The only downside to this product is that it’s crumbly if you don’t pack on a ton, so don’t go for all your waterlines.
But for more natural days, this eyeliner is perfect for lining the top and bottom of your eyes. It’s super affordable and lasts a long time.
BONUS CHAPTER: Superfoods
22. Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio Universal Looks Collection
The nude eyeshadow will be suitable for use on the eyes, while containing a shimmer. The Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio Universal Looks Collection can be used on the eyelid for a subtle glow, which is great for those with a minimalist makeup look in mind.
If you want to accentuate your eyes, then there is little that you need to do. All that you need to do is the include the Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Eyeliner Trio on your eyes. It is the easiest way to make your eyes stand out, no matter what you are wearing.
It includes a shimmer but it does not make your pupil seem like it is shining. It will not reflect light, so it will be suitable for use in an indoor setting. It is not glittery so it is suitable for a variety of skin tones.
23. 24pcs Nabi Eyebrow and Eyeliner Pencil
It has a perfect packing of 2 eyeliners (black, brown), eyebrow and shadow (neutral tone) pencils. A lot of reviews has considered that this is an ideal eyebrow pencil for beginners, because it is not expensive, but do the perfect work.
I’ve noticed the reviews that write about the false precision effect that makes them dissatisfied. But, if you always considered a natural eyebrow, maybe is not your eyeliner for you. On the other hand, it is an ideal product for makeup beginners, not only because of the good price, but also for the quality.
24. Vassoul Winged Eyeliner Stamp
- Make your eyes larger
- Create a breathtaking natural look on your eyes
- Smooth curve provides easy and perfect application
- The 2 fine tips allow you to create various eyeliner looks for any occasions
- Blackest black color
- 100% natural ingredients, does not contain oil
- Long lasting performance
- Waterproof and long lasting
- Make your eyes looking bigger
- Takes some time to get used to applying
- Can get messy after a few hours of use
- Can’t replace the pen tip on the pen itself
Eyeliner is for anyone who likes to emphasize their eyes. “Winged eyeliner” refers to a style in which the eyeliner is applied in a semi-circle shape with a wing on each side of your eye which extends toward the center of your face. Here’s a look at the tip that makes a winged eyeliner:
- Take a thin eyeliner brush and dip it into the eyeliner.
- Holding the eyeliner brush in one hand, gently and slowly tilt your head back and look up and slightly towards one side.
- Starting in the inner corner of the eye, apply the eyeliner on your lash line.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which brand of eyeliner is the best?
There are a lot of different options available when it comes to gel eyeliner. Some people swear by expensive, luxury brands but you can get equally effective results using more affordable brands. The more pigmented the brand, the more likely it will last all day and night. The main thing to watch out for is whether is it smudge-proof.
Gel eyeliners usually work by using pigments suspended in a gel formula. This creates a very smooth texture that won’t dry out the skin around your eyes, and it holds its shape very well. The only downside is that they tend to be a little more difficult to apply and some of them may wear off particularly in warm conditions.
What is the best and easiest eyeliner to use?
Sadly, you may have proven to yourself that your wing-ed eyeliner skills just aren’t strong enough. The good news is that there is another option that is easier than you thought. A gel eyeliner is the alternative for you. It glides on like a dream and you can easily draw the lines exactly as you want them. It’s also a lot harder to mess up that water-based liner; the gel just dries too fast to let you mess it up.
What is the best brand of eyeliner that doesn't smear?
My favorite eyeliner is the rimmel scandaleyes waterproof liner. I've tried just about every brand there is, and I have to say i really do believe this to be the best. It usually stays put for hours in normal conditions, while the other brands I've tried seem to fade away or even become smudged under my eyes in an hour or two.
The only problem I've had with it is that if you try to just make a super sharp line it can be a little hard to do, but with some practice (I've had this eyeliner for over a year now) it's really easy and looks great.
What's the best eyeliner pencil on the market?
A department store leading brand of eyeliner pencil is a good choice and a moderate priced one is okay as well. However, if you have no reservations about paying extra for high-quality eyeliners that are made from the finest ingredients and designed to flatter your eyes, then you will want to go straight to blinc's website and purchase one of their products.
Another product you can choose is the Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish Double Pencil. I searched all high street websites and this product really stood out to me. It has good reviews and the cost is very reasonable.
Liner is a cosmetic product that is so useful and essential that it can be used by anyone: Extra element of glamour and fun if you go for special effects (like glitter liner or cat eyes!), Creative possibility if you are a makeup artist, Professional and confident if you want a full, long lasting look that will last through the day.
|Rimmel Exaggerate Eye Definer||Best Overall|
|NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Jumbo Eyeliner Pencil||Budget Pick|
|Prestige Liquid Eyeliner||Upgrade Pick|